How to make rsync faster?

Tang, Clayton (Yiqi) yiqi.tang at lehman.com
Thu Nov 15 19:08:41 GMT 2007

I manage 250+ redhat linux boxes. The boxes are all setup the same way.
On a daily basis, we sync the app directory which is about 30gb out to
all hosts. The daily delta is actually less than 1gb, but since I can't
be sure if any individual box was tempered during the day, I always do a
full sync. On a monthly basis, we run with "--delete" to clean out the
stale files on the hosts.

The command I use daily is: "/usr/bin/rsync -a -e ssh", with a ksh for
loop on the 250+ host names
The version is: "rsync  version 2.5.7  protocol version 26"

Since rsync must do a chksum on the local and remote box on all files,
the whole sync process takes over 2hrs even if nothing was changed.

My questions are:

1) I know I have an old version, are there performance improvements in
the later versions? I am not the SA, the process to request a new
install is lengthy.

2) Is there a "parallel rsync" program? Looping 250 times to invoke
causes rsync to checksum the local files 250 times, which is a waste of
resource. Can "parallel rsync" be considered for a future version?

3) Are there better ways to achieve what I need to do with rsync or
another tool?

Thank you,
Clayton

--------
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
Please be advised that any discussion of U.S. tax matters contained within this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding U.S. tax related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.