Problem with --exclude command

alex loutrbringa' castornightmare at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:28:59 GMT 2007

Hi everybody,

i want to exclude a set of directories of a rsync synchronization but i have
a problem :
serv-dev:~/scripts_Admin# RSYNC_PASSWORD=xxxx /usr/bin/rsync -vv --checksum
--recursive --links --exclude .svn/ --exclude test/ /var/www/ssl/
rsuser at 192.168.130.1::ssl/
opening tcp connection to 192.168.130.1 port 873
opening connection using --server -vvlrc . ssl/
building file list ...
[sender] excluding directory .svn because of pattern .svn/
[sender] excluding directory test because of pattern test/
[sender] excluding directory downloads/test because of pattern test/
done
total: matches=0  tag_hits=0  false_alarms=0 data=0

sent 1166 bytes  received 16 bytes  472.80 bytes/sec
total size is 66022402  speedup is 55856.52
So downloads/test is excluded from the rsync but i just want my ./test/
folder being excluded from the transfer, not my downloads/test/ folder.

I've simplified but all my exclusions are generated from a command like `ls
-F | grep -v downloads/` so it should be compatible with the syntax used by
ls output.

I've search on rsync man but i'm a little bit lost/

Thanks very much for your help.

Alex