2.6.9 w/ acl, xattr, and fake-super support?

Daniel Maher dma at witbe.net
Thu Nov 15 14:02:44 GMT 2007

Hello,

As i cannot get 3.0.0pre5 to work in my environment (throwing crazy
errors which i've posted previously), i would like to revert to 2.6.9 .
Of course, the reason i tried to use v3 in the first place was for the
acl, xattr, and fake-super options - which, evidently, can be enabled
under 2.6.9, as per the following sources:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-February/017218.html
http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/unix/src/misc/rsync-2.6.9.tar.gz:a/rsync-2.6.9/patches/fake-super.diff

I can successfully apply both acls.diff and xattrs.diff to the 2.6.9
source, however, fake-super.diff is not as smooth:

---------

$ patch -p1 < patches/fake-super.diff
patching file backup.c
patching file clientserver.c
patching file flist.c
patching file loadparm.c
patching file options.c
patching file rsync.c
patching file rsync.h
patching file rsync.yo
patching file rsyncd.conf.yo
patching file syscall.c
patching file t_unsafe.c
patching file tls.c
patching file trimslash.c
patching file xattr.c
patching file proto.h
Hunk #2 FAILED at 333.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file proto.h.rej
patching file configure
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file configure.rej
patching file config.h.in
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
6 out of 6 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file config.h.in.rej
patching file rsync.1
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
7 out of 7 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file rsync.1.rej
patching file rsyncd.conf.5

---------

If i attempt to compile, make completes successfully (albeit with some
warnings), and i get an rsync binary.  Unfortunately, when i try to use
it, i get the following error:

Internal error: wrong write used in receiver.
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(1204)
[generator=2.6.9]

Exactly the same behaviour occurs (compiled binary and run-time error)
if i choose to apply the patches "anyway".

I am curious if anybody has successfully enabled acl, xattr, and
fake-super support in 2.6.9 .  If so, i would /love/ to know how you did
it, as i'm starting to get a little desperate for a solution!

Thank you all.

--
dan.