rsync as daemon doesnt use secrets file but sshd

Marco Strullato marco.strullato at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 16:17:01 GMT 2007

Hi all!
I have a problem configuring rsync as daemon:

This is my rsync.conf:

log file = /var/log/rsync.log
list = yes
uid = nobody
gid = nobody
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
[section]
comment = Great stuff from remote.acme.com
path = /home/repos
auth users = marco
hosts allow = *
hosts deny = *

This is my /etc/rsyncd.secrets

marco:marco

This is the secrets file permission:
[root at server marco]# ls -l /etc/rsyncd.secrets
-rw-------  1 root root 12 Nov 12 17:01 /etc/rsyncd.secrets

This is /etc/xinetd.d/rsync

service rsync
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/bin/rsync
        server_args     = --daemon
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

The problem is that I can not rsync from a client: it seems rsync is using
pam and system users for logging. I've tried to enable the user marco as
system user and I can login!!! So I think rsync can not authenticate using
the secret file.

user at client:~$ rsync -vv marco at server::section
opening connection using ssh -l marco server rsync --server --sender -vv .
FxS
marco at server's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

Into /var/log/messages I have
Nov 12 17:10:46 server sshd(pam_unix)[16221]: check pass; user unknown
Nov 12 17:10:46 server sshd(pam_unix)[16221]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=10.0.0.34

What should I check?

Thanks

Marco