xattrs: Permission denied?

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Mon Nov 12 00:08:21 GMT 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 03:09:08PM +0100, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
>> There seem to be three distinct problems.
>
> Thanks for the detailed analysis.  I'll be checking into this soon.

I wanted to fix it, but every time I prepare a patch, it breaks
somewhere else.
I had the test-case I posted working, but then it would fail when
doing fake-super (b/c the %stat gets set in two places then).

How is this whole thing supposed to work? It seems to be doing some
strange mix of pre- and post-order recursion. Wouldn't it be simpler
to just to strict post-order [1]? ie: set/mkdir the directory 07xx,
rsync all the contents, and then set_file_attrs at the end? Then
there's no worry about touching up the mtime/permissions/etc. Also,
the way it is now the file attributes get touched repeatedly, slowing
it down by a non-negligible amount.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_traversal