Number of FIles Transferred Seems Wrong

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Nov 10 19:02:54 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 11:29 -0400, Jon wrote:
> One piece of information that I forgot to
> mention in my original post is that the second rsync takes about 3
> seconds. There are no files transferred on the second rsync yet the
> 293 are being reported.
>
> If the files were actually being transferred again then I could agree,
> but that's not the case, Rsync seems to be doing exactly what it is
> supposed to be doing. It's just that one stat that doesn't appear to
> jive with anything.

As I see it, it is your claim that rsync is not transferring anything
that does not jive with the "Number of files transferred" and "Matched
data" stats and the absence of the -t option.  ("Matched data" is data
matched by the delta-transfer algorithm in transferred files; files that
are already up to date are counted neither in "Literal data" nor in
"Matched data".)

Does rsync print the names of the 293 files?  If so, it is transferring
them.  For further evidence, pass the -i option; an output line of the
form ">f..T...... foo" means that rsync is transferring (>) foo because
of a difference in mtime (T).

In any case, the solution is to pass the -t option; if for some reason
you don't want to preserve mtimes, you can use --checksum instead.

Matt