Newbie problems

Boniforti Flavio boniforti.f at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:44:23 GMT 2007

Hello there...

I'd like to have some doubts cleared out... therefore I'm posting here...

I want to back-up my PC's /home directory onto another Linux PC. On
the "server" I've set up a directory called /backup and now I'd like
to know which permissions it should have for that my backups succeed.

What I want to achieve is that I have my /home eactly copied over,
maintaining ownership and permissions on files and directories. Is
this possible?

How should I be setting "uid" and "gid" in the server's conf file?
How should the permissions on /backup be set?

Many thanks in advance.