Fwd: problem syncing files from embedded device to PC

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Mon May 28 13:35:52 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Preeti Joshi <preetijoshi79 at gmail.com>
Date: May 28, 2007 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: problem syncing files from embedded device to PC
To: Matt McCutchen <hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com>

Hi,

I read the link you had mailed. I'll clarify here that I have a C
application through which I invoke rsync with 'system ()' system call.
Also , I have 3 threads trying to copy same source files to 3
destinations. I make sure by using threads and mutex locks that only 1
thread is created for one destination. However, 3 threads can run in
parallel.
Is it possible for this parallel execution of rsync to lead to OUT OF
MEMORY problem even though I have such small-sized files total files
being < 100 in number !

I don't think so because in few embedded systems that I have, there
are only 5-6 files of few kilo bytes and still rsync leads to OUT OF
MEMORY problem even with single destination.

In fact I invoke rsync for destinations that are reachable by 'ping'
beforehand. In case of single reachable destination too, this problem
occurs within few minutes!

Thus, I mostly have situations where only one instance of rsync is running!
I hope rsync is not meant only for
HUGE-RAM-HUGE-HARD-DISK-MILLION-FILES scenarios!!!

Preeti