Announce: rsync fadvise (cache dropping) patch updated

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu May 24 06:21:47 GMT 2007

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have updated my rsync fadvise patch which stops rsync from
> ousting all your other data from cache when running large jobs.
>
> I have also written an article about the whole issue.
>
> http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/fadvise.html
>
> cheers
> tobi

I lost you there regarding one aspect. Reading the fadvise man page, it
seems that you are only referring to your own future use of the file. It
does not indicate that your choices can purge a file from the cache
altogether, even if others need it. Are you sure that the mincore part
of things is necessary?

Shachar