ANNOUNCE: rsync stealth mode patch (update)

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sun May 20 20:50:49 GMT 2007

Hi List,

I use rsync with the --link-dir feature for hard-linked
snapshot-like backups. If there are large files involved, this will
blow away the file-system cache. The result is a bad performance
hit for applications that had all their files happily in cache
before.

Using posix_fadvise and mincore, I wrote a patch that enables rsync to
operate without disturbing the file-system-cache.

 http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/fadvise.html

(This is an update to an earlier version of the patch, that did
not use mincore and thus dropped files from cache that had been
there BEFORE rsync ran)

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902