Failed starting rsync daemon from a remote server(ssh)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri May 11 16:06:02 GMT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 04:42:06PM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> However (attn. Wayne), it seems to me that there's no need for the
> behavior because the administrator could get the same effect by
> passing --server .

The combination of --daemon with --server currently indicates that rsync
is running as a daemon over a remote shell, and this causes the daemon
to use a different default for finding the rsyncd.conf file.  So, an
[x]inetd setup could be changed to both specify --server and --config-file
and I believe (without checking it) that it should work fine.  That
might not be too onerous of an incompatibility in a new version, but I'm
not sure if I like the idea yet or not.