rsync mechanics question

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:28:02 GMT 2007

On 5/9/07, JamesDR <james at trusswood.net> wrote:
> By using --inplace (if I read that right)
> you'll be xfering the entire 90GB store over the network.

Not exactly.  --inplace only prevents the receiver from matching
source data using data at an earlier offset in the old destination
file (because the receiver will overwrite the old data too soon to use
it).  (Note to Wayne: I think the man page should state this
explicitly, especially because that will make the remark about sorting
data matches meaningful to new users.)  Thus, if I reason correctly,
inserting data in the source file spoils all the matches from there
on, while deleting or modifying data does not do any more harm than it
would without --inplace.

Matt