rsync feature needed: preserve atime

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue May 8 23:09:06 GMT 2007

On 5/8/07, Brent Thompson <brent at kanha.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> Often we need to preserve the information atime conveys, but I have found
> no way to get rsync to preserve this, nor any hint it is being worked on.
> It would be great if 'rsync -t' also set atime not just mtime -- or maybe a
> new option is desired for atime.

The standard version of rsync does not support preserving atimes, but
the rsync source distribution includes a patch "patches/atimes.diff"
that adds an option --atimes to preserve atimes.  I recommend you
compile your own copy of rsync including this patch (reply if you need
help/instructions for this) and then use it with its --atimes option.

Matt