overflow error

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Fri May 4 16:36:46 GMT 2007

On Fri, 4 May 2007, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 02:22:46PM -0500, David Harfst wrote:
> > overflow:  flags=0x69 l1=110 12=1633837871 lastname=
> > ERROR: buffer overflow in receive_file_entry
> > rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util.c(147)
>
> That's indicates that something in the protocol got corrupted.  You
> might try upgrading to 2.6.9.  If you're using -z (--compress), try
> leaving that option off and see if the error goes away.

We had that exact same thing happen after a customer upgraded their
checkpoint firewall. We were never able to figure out what the firewall
upgrade versions were, but turning off -z (--compress) fixed the problem.
We were using rsync 2.6.2 at the time. We no longer back up this
customer's data so are unable to determine if a newer version resolves the
problem.

..Chuck..

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0