Problem handling future timestamps?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri May 4 16:44:52 GMT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 07:26:40PM -0700, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> Emit a WARNING and set to MAX_TIME_T on the destination? It's either
> that or an ERROR and fail the transfer.

I had considered forcing the time to MAX_TIME_T, but decided against
it because I didn't want all too-large timestamps to end up with an
identical time value (since it would make finding changed files
difficult).  I ended up outputting a warning and allowing the value
to get truncated.  This preserves the ability for rsync to figure
out if a file has changed, though it does end up setting the file's
time into the past.