Timestanp question

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:58:23 GMT 2007

On 3/30/07, William D. Tallman <wtallman at olypen.com> wrote:
> I've now got scripts that correctly backup all my primary partitions to a
> second drive.  The original problem was that I copied them over without
> a time stamp, so that the first rsync run found no timestamps and wanted
> to copy them all over again.  So I used:
>
>          'rsync -r -t -v --size-only $SOURCE $TARGET'
>
> My question is this:  do I need to continue to use --size-only, or has
> the first rsync backup run put time stamps on all files?

The first rsync run put the time stamps on because you used -t
(--times).  You no longer need --size-only, and in fact you should
stop using it to reduce the likelihood that a file is falsely
considered up-to-date.  However, you still need -t so that updated
destination files get timestamps that identify them as up-to-date on
future runs.

Matt