rsync backup - order by size

Ty Miller tyronmiller at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:50:09 GMT 2007

Hey all,

I have setup a system using rsync to backup our data daily to an offsite
backup server. We are having issues with large (1GB-20GB) files taking
longer than a day to complete (up to a week), meaning that smaller files are
not being backed up every day. The smaller files are the more critical ones,
and the larger files aren't usually critical.

If I could get the smaller files to be backed up first, and then the larger
ones afterwards, then the large file transfers can be killed at the end of
the day and resumed the next day after the smaller files have been backed up
again.

Therefore, is there any way that I can get rsync to backup the files in
order of size?

Thanks,
Ty