Compression bug?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:58:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm using rsync 2.6.8 to backup files and encountered the following
problem:

rsync -zvvxa --partial --no-whole-file --stats
--progress ../new/access_log.processed  .
building file list ...
1 file to consider
delta-transmission enabled
access_log.processed
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]: Broken
pipe (32)
inflate (token) returned -5
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
token.c(478) [receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (51 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(465)
[generator=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (229812 bytes received so far)
[sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(465)
[sender=2.6.8]

I have copies of the before and after for the problematic file but it is
rather large::
  42987081 Mar 16 13:21 rsync-problematic.tar.bz2

Let me know if you'd like those and I'll figure out how to get them to
you.  If you have a later version of rsync that you think takes care of
the error, I can try using that instead.

-Toshio