rsync for directory and files structures only

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Mar 15 23:26:53 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:44:08AM +0200, Nick A Gordun wrote:
> I am looking for to only sync directories and files structures only,
> without coping any data within files...

You can sync just directories by excluding everything else.  In a
modern rsync, that is this filter option, which says to exclude
everything that is not a directory:

In older rsync versions, you must specify both an include of all
directories, and an exclude of everything else:

    --include='*/' --exclude='*'

It cannot copy any other "file structures" other than the files
themselves, which includes data.