rsync --delete is not deleting

Hedley J. Phillips hedley at letterpart.com
Thu Mar 15 17:02:42 GMT 2007

Hi,

wondering if someone can help. I have googled for this and scoured the
man page, but have got no further.

I am running rsync 2.6.6 on windows and am finding it doesn't delete
files from the target.

For example my batch file has:

rsync -av --delete /cygdrive/G/SAN_ARRAY/XPP_Data/alljobz/
/cygdrive/z/alljobz/

This copies everything over nicely, but doesn't delete files or folders
from the target that have been deleted on the source.

But, if I drill down the directory structure further:

rsync -av --delete
/cygdrive/G/SAN_ARRAY/XPP_Data/alljobz/test/alljobz/CLS_PaulTest/GRP_Jor
dansFamily/
/cygdrive/z/alljobz/test/alljobz/CLS_PaulTest/GRP_JordansFamily/

Then rsync will delete sub folders from the GRP_JordansFamily/ directory
as I would expect.

Where am I going wrong and which blindingly obvious instruction have I
missed.

Thank you,

Hedley Phillips