Problem with shared xls file. Could it be blamed on rsync?

Tony Abernethy tony at servacorp.com
Thu Mar 15 17:03:44 GMT 2007

Microsoft tends to write its intentions into the directory
and then eventually write the file contents to the file itself.
Rsync depends on the directory contents not being premature.

Shared files:  (This assumes the Windows stuff is same as DOS.)
The stuff for what portions of the file are locked for read or write
is in a memory structure separate from the actual file contents.
That stuff (locks in general) are a set of conventions which depend
on everybody using the same conventions.
dBASE used negative ranges so dBASE and the fox thingee would read
each other's data but dishonor each other's locks

I've taken to doing such rsyncs at 3:33 AM just to try to avoid such issues.