disconnected synchronization (mostly unidirectional)

Konrad Karl kk_konrad at gmx.at
Mon Mar 12 10:12:58 GMT 2007

Hi Wayne et al,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 07:41:12AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:43:01PM +0100, Konrad Karl wrote:
> > machine A (office) is, where most file changes/downloads etc happen.
> >                    and it has limited internet access (only proxy possible)
> >
> > Machine B (home) has low bandwidth, is NATed etc.
>
> To copy data from A -> B using a USB as a data transport rsync supports
> batch-file creation.  However, rsync doesn't support a fake file list.
> So, to use batch files, you have two options:

Thanks for mentioning batch mode. It seems that only an option to load
and save aq file list from a file would be needed.

Given this capability together with the batch mode it should be possible
to do what I want.  The archives are way too big to fit onto a memory
stick or even to a laptop hard disk... (several hundreds of gigabytes,
but the content is mainly static, deltas are typically in the range
of several hundreds of megabytes, a little more in some cases)

Unfortunately it is not possible to access both hosts over the
network given the proxy restrictions.

Thanks for thinking about my problem. I am considering to hack
rsync or perhaps try some fake filesystem using FUSE on linux in order
to provide the source list for the batch.

Greetings,
Konrad