Newbie question.

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Mar 11 22:16:13 GMT 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 01:29:45PM -0800, William D. Tallman wrote:
> And I got it that I could remove -t and --size-only from subsequent
> backup runs.

No, you don't want to eliminate -t, as preserving timestamps is the only
way rsync has to quickly decide if a file is changed or not (if you had
used -p with the initial cp command, you couldn't have needed to use
--size-only).  I'd also suggest adding -p (--perms), if needed.  See
also -g (--group) and -o (--owner), which might be needed.

> And what I don't seem to be able to figure out is how to get rsync to
> give me a list of the files it updates or backs up.  I thought a single
> -v would do that, but apparently not.

Yes, that's what happens.  Perhaps you left off -t from one copy, and
noticed that rsync re-copied the older files (due to them not having
their timestamp preserved).  You can use -i (--itemize-changes) to see
an itemized list of what rsync is changing, and what caused a transfer
to happen.