rsync permissions question - different perms set for some files on initial run

Scott Carpenter yammerhead at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 21:16:43 GMT 2007

Hi.  I've been searching around for answers on this one and experimenting a
fair amount, but I seem to be stuck.  I hope this is an appropriate place
for my question and if not, apologies.

I am running Samba v3 on a Linksys NSLU2 (Network Storage Link -- a NAS).
(It runs GNU/Linux.)

I have a share set up with these options:

force directory mode=000
force create mode=000
create mask=777
directory mask=777

>From an Ubuntu machine, I mount the share on the NSLU2 using cifs.  I have
my username and group ids synced to match on both machines.

I'm running this command:

rsync -ai --stats --delete ~/test/ /mnt/nslu/test/

Most things work fine.  My permissions are preserved on the remote drive for
the most part after the rsync, but I'm seeing a couple of odd cases.

If I have a file with 400 permissions, it gets created with 500 after the
initial rsync.  If I run rsync again, it changes to 400.  Similarly, I have
a 600 file and it initially is created as 722, again changing to 600 on the
subsequent run.

This isn't happening with several other combinations, for example: 444, 706,
440, 640, 644, 740.  Those are all created with the same permissions on the
first run of rsync.

Any suggestions or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!