Rsync-ing a data stream (named pipe?)

Ian Harris rsync at teasel.org
Sun Mar 11 12:11:43 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm currently doing a remote backup of a MySQL database by using
mysqldump to create a file, then using rsync to transfer this file to a
backup server.  It works OK, except that the file is rather large and
the backup (and everything else!) fails when I exceed my diskspace
quota.  I'm also running fairly close to my bandwidth quota, so simply
mysqldump-ing everything over the network isn't an option either.

I was wondering whether rsync can be persuaded to sync the "contents" of
a local named pipe with the contents of a remote file.  That way I could
drop the mysqldump data into the named pipe and it would efficiently
update the backup file on the remote server.

I'm guessing that this is probably impossible, because rsync needs to be
able to seek around within the local file, which won't be possible with
a fifo.  But if anyone has any ideas on how to transfer a data stream
from one machine to another, using minimum bandwidth and without the
data hitting the filesystem on the source machine, I'd be interested to
hear your suggestions!

Cheers,
Ian