syncronizing file content into device content

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Mar 8 00:53:00 GMT 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:29:36PM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
> So, how can I get rsync to syncronize the _content_ of the device
> with the _content_ of the source file (or source device)?

You can't without writing custom code -- for instance, adding an option
to rsync to tell it to treat a block device as a file (which would also
require the use of --inplace).  Otherwise you might look for some other
utility that could patch a single file (I almost suggested trying to use
the rdiff utility in librsync, but it can't update a file in-place).