mystery data fills my target disk

Arlo Leach arlo at arlomedia.com
Wed Jun 27 18:38:35 GMT 2007

Hi Giuliano,

> you should not be using -E on 2.6.9 (or earlier I suppose) with
> 10.4.8. Upgrade to 10.4.9 (vanilla or with the latest security
> update, as there was a security update which regressed LibC).
> Otherwise -E will set corrupt unix permissions of files with
> resources and crash on files with both resources and acls.

Okay, that might explain why I couldn't boot to the disk that I updated with
rsync. I just upgraded the OS to the latest 10.4.10 and now all is working
smoothly.

I'm setting up a computer classroom and I'm setting each computer to restore
itself from its master image every night, then shut down to save energy.
Rsync plus cron and a bit of shell scripting is a really powerful
combination. Thanks for your help!

-Arlo

Arlo Leach
773.769.6106