huge number of files

Ming Zhang blackmagic02881 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:30:49 GMT 2007

Hi All

I would like to use rsync to synchronize two file system tree over WAN
periodically. The file system trees contain millions of small image
files. Base on our understanding, rsync try to generate file name list
before doing any operation, we easily run short of memory and have
impact on our normal file system activities.

I wonder if rsync can have an option that when it scan the file system
tree and accumulate to N number of files, it process these files before
scanning further.

This might break the operation on files with multiple hard links or
detecting rename. But we are ok on this.

Thanks!

--
Ming Zhang

@#$%^ purging memory... (*!%