Feature request: External deletion command

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 23:12:46 GMT 2007

On 6/6/07, Melmi <hascii at gmx.de> wrote:
> Good idea. However, "wipe" has some mechanism to prevent recovering of the old filename. I dont know wether it does anything else than a bunch of moves with mv.
> Using you solution, the filename might be recoverable. Im not sure about this.

IMHO, it's unrealistic to expect the filename to be completely
unrecoverable unless your entire disk is encrypted.  The applications
you use to edit the file could have saved its name in any number of
caches or recently-used lists.  Application memory containing the
filename (or even the data) could have been swapped out to disk,
leaving traces of the name on the swap partition.  Are you going to
track down and wipe all those places too?

Matt