Newbie problems

Boniforti Flavio boniforti.f at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 11:42:20 GMT 2007

On 6/2/07, Matt McCutchen <hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How should I be setting "uid" and "gid" in the server's conf file?
>
> You should set both to root so that the server (more properly called a
> daemon) has the power to set the ownership of the backup files.
> Otherwise, the daemon will silently skip setting the ownership.

That is done in the /etc/rsyncd.conf file, right?
Mine is as follows:

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[Backup]
path = /backups
comment = Server di backup
uid = root
gid = root
read only = no
list = yes
auth users = bonny
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt

In rsyncd.scrt I have user:password for my normal user (bonny).

On the client I state:

rsync -aPvz ACER-TM525TX/ rsync://bonny@192.168.1.69/Backup

which actually has permitted me to copy over that first directory.

> > How should the permissions on /backup be set?
>
> The daemon will work no matter what the permissions and ownership of
> /backup are because it has root power.  However, you may wish to copy
> /home onto /backup/home rather than /backup (if you weren't planning
> to do so already) and then set /backup to 700 permissions and
> root:root ownership.  That would prevent other users on the server
> computer from accessing the backup directly.

Well, I've set it up like you told me to, but after having executed
the first "rsync" I got following permissions on /backups:

755 and "bonny:bonny" as the owner of that directory.

Is this OK?
Why is this happening?

Many thanks so far...