File/Folder Ownership - Cygwin/Rsync - Is it possible to get around rsync taking file ownership?

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:18:54 GMT 2007

On 7/24/07, jhurd8025 <texasjhurd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This takes ownership away from the administrators group,
> thus disallowing inherited permissions.

I bet there's some way to achieve the effect you want even without the
administrators group owning the files.

How exactly are the inherited permissions being "disallowed"?  Do they
apply to "CREATOR OWNER"?  If so, just change them to apply to
Administrators.  Is rsync clearing the flag that causes files to
inherit permissions from their parents, or is it creating entries of
its own that override the inherited ones?  If so, I suspect that
setting CYGWIN=nontsec on the receiving rsync (if it's remote, pass
--rsync-path='CYGWIN=nontsec rsync' to the local rsync) may stop both
of these behaviors, even if it does not fix the file ownership.  The
page http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=faq&FAQ_op=view&FAQ_id=12
supports my suspicion.

Matt