files permission and hidden files are not rsync properly

Abdul Khan akhan at systems.fleetwoodmetal.com
Thu Jul 19 14:42:05 GMT 2007

On 7/19/07, Abdul Khan <akhan at systems.fleetwoodmetal.com> wrote:

> >> I have recently installed rsync.2.6.9. on CentOS4.x boxes. That was my
> >> first backup yesterday.
>

> In the future and if you need more help on this issue than the below,
> please send the exact rsync command you used!
>

> >> But I notice that some hidden (or dot files) are not copied to the other
> >> host on the network.
>

> Rsync said "skipping non-regular file".  That means the files aren't
> regular and you haven't passed the option to tell rsync to copy files
> of that type.  What are those files?  Symlinks?  If so, then pass -l.
>

> >> And group and ownership of the files are changed to
> >> "nobody" while files and folders permission are copied properly. So what
> >> am mission here can anybody shed light please?
>

> By default, rsync preserves owners and groups by name if possible or
> otherwise by number.  That means if the destination machine lacks a
> "vpopmail" user and a "vchkpw" group, rsync sets the same numerical
> IDs on the destination as on the source.  If those IDs represent
> "nobody" and "nobody" on the destination, the files get that
> ownership.  Creating "vpopmail" and "vchkpw" on the destination
> machine should fix the problem.
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,
Thank you for response.

> > In the future and if you need more help on this issue than the below,
> > please send the exact rsync command you used!

Here is the command that I ran from the destinition machine which is also
running the rsync daemon or the rsync server;

[root at mail admin]# rsync --verbose --progress --stats --recursive
/home/vpopmail/ 192.167.1.61::email_backup/

they are not symlinks as log mentioned they are hidden files (or dot
files), so is there any thing specific that I have to add in the command
to copy those as well?

> > By default, rsync preserves owners and groups by name if possible or
> > otherwise by number.  That means if the destination machine lacks a
> > "vpopmail" user and a "vchkpw" group, rsync sets the same numerical
> > IDs on the destination as on the source.  If those IDs represent
> > "nobody" and "nobody" on the destination, the files get that
> > ownership.  Creating "vpopmail" and "vchkpw" on the destination
> > machine should fix the problem.

The destination machine is actually the mirror of the source so both
mochines are identical and both "vpopmail" user and "vchkpw" group do
exist on the destinition.

here is the evidence of "vpopmail" and "vchpkw" on the destinition;

[root at mail admin]# cat /etc/group | grep vchk*
vchkpw:x:89:
[root at mail admin]# cat /etc/passwd | grep vpopmail
vpopmail:x:89:89::/home/vpopmail:/bin/bash

Thanks in advance.

ak