rsyncd.conf missing option akin to --one-file-system

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 01:48:58 GMT 2007

On 7/12/07, Lester Hightower <hightowe-rsync-list at 10east.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that rsyncd.conf does not provide an option akin to rsync's
> --one-file-system command line argument.  If that is true, it seems like a
> bug of ommission, as I now face a use case where I need it.

If the list of mount points changes infrequently, you can instead
write an appropriate exclude file yourself and specify it with
"exclude from = FILE".

> Is there maybe some technical reason for the ommission?

I don't think so.  An rsyncd.conf parameter could easily be added
specifically for --one-file-system.

However, I think a better idea is to add an rsyncd.conf parameter
"default options" for command-line options that the daemon should
parse and observe on every run as if they were at the beginning of the
command line sent by the client.  The "default options" should be
exempt from refusal.  A daemon administrator who doesn't want the
client to override default options could simply refuse their "--no-*"
forms.  Since default options would apply only to the daemon and would
never be sent to the client, the administrator would have to take care
to avoid corrupting the protocol.

This made me think of two more proposed enhancements to rsyncd.conf:

- I would like to have "ignore options" in addition to "refuse options".

- I would like to exempt path arguments to default options from
sanitizing.  This would make my snapshot-accepting daemon setup (
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-April/015347.html ) a little
bit nicer because the daemon could transparently --link-dest the
module from a previous snapshot outside the module, eliminating the
risk of tweaking hard-linked files.

Matt