Local disk to disk Rsync taking an hour longer than disk to remote

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:35:16 GMT 2007

On 7/16/07, Aaron W Morris <aaronwmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> The difference could be --whole-file which is enabled by default when
> the source and destination are local disks.  You could try to disable
> that with --no-whole-file .

--no-whole-file reduces data transfer between the sending and
receiving rsync processes.  On a local run, it is very unlikely to do
any good.  In fact, it increases the amount of disk I/O (since the
generator reads the basis file), so if disk I/O is the bottleneck, it
will actually make rsync even slower.

Matt