Might hanging bugs remain in rsync 3.0.0?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jul 16 08:47:24 GMT 2007

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 11:09:57PM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Furthermore, from April 27 to July 10, about 2.5 months passed without
> any hanging bugs being found; then, on July 11, Warren Oates reported
> one.

That was a brand new one that I introduced into the code when I tweaked
the index numbering in incremental mode and failed to update a second
section of code that interpreted the index values.  The hang bug cropped
up right away in both my testing and in the testing of at least one
other person, and was quickly fixed.

> This makes me worry that [...] it may nevertheless have a hanging bug
> that will be found after it is released and create a serious problem
> for some users.

Such a thing is possible, but I don't think it is going to be any more
likely than a hang bug happening in prior versions.  And the user will
always have the option of specifying --no-ir if they need to.