Exclude not working

Madhavan Chari madhavanchari at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 06:17:38 GMT 2007

Hi,

I am facing a problem with rsync exclude filter. It seems even though I am
trying to exclude few directories under my directory
structure, it is still getting copied every time it runs. The folder
structure is as below.

Source Directory Structure
opt
   msc
       arb821
                Server
                     transmissionData
                     logs
                     temp
                     altavista

This is how I am trying to exclude the directories. All the directories have
sub-directories also.

E1=/opt/mscdr/arb821/Server/transmissionData
E2=/opt/mscdr/arb821/Server/logs
E3=/opt/mscdr/arb821/Server/temp
E4=/opt/mscdr/arb821/Server/altavista

rsync -az -t -e ssh -vv --delete --exclude $E1  --exclude $E2 --exclude $E3
--exclude $E4  --delete-excluded --bwlimit=1000 $HOSTTOBACKUP:$SOURCE
$TARGET >$tempfile 2>&1

Regards,
Madhavan