xattrs with --link-dest inconsistancy

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Tue Jul 3 19:09:21 GMT 2007

Hello.

On May 22, someone reported that xattrs don't work right with --link-dest
on rsync 3.0.0cvs:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-May/017768.html

I've run into the same problem, but on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5:

# rsync --version
rsync  version 2.6.8  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, ACLs, xattrs, symlinks, batchfiles,
               inplace, IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

With --link-dest, whichever xattrs existed on the first instance of a file
are the ones that are kept forever, unless something else changes
(timestamp, data, etc.) and a new file is created.

I didn't see this in the rsync or Red Hat Bugzillas. Should I file a bug?
Any suggestions on how to fix the bug? I believe xattrs apply to the file
itself, not the directory entry, which I imagine is the source of the
problem.

Thanks,
Jon

--