Cannot preserve uids and gids with AIX 5.3 w/rsync 2.6.2

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jan 30 01:13:35 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:49:23PM -0600, Jeff Mundine wrote:
> Trying to get an AIX (5.3) to run rsync 2.6.2 as a daemon

For any process to be able to affect a file's ownership, it must be
running as root.  The default daemon config runs each transfer process
as user nobody.  To change this, specify uid/gid in your rsyncd.conf:

uid = 0
gid = 0

> However, if I ever attempt to add a flag to preserve permissions, like:
> rsync -a test_file test_box::test_module
> these are the errors:

That's very strange (and, as an aside, the "test_module" doesn't match
your cited config file, which had a single "test" module).  You can at
least rule out that this was already fixed by trying 2.6.9 and seeing if
the errors persist.