Question on --backup --backup-dir Switches For Incremental Backs

Blake Carver lists at lisnews.com
Mon Jan 29 15:34:39 GMT 2007

I current do some rsync backups with a command like so every day

rsync -az -e ssh --stats --delete --exclude "stuff" / user at server:/home/user/

What I want to do is have some incremental backups in there in
subdirectories. So, for example, something like this on the remote
server
/home/user/something.tuesday
/home/user/something.friday

I thought the --backup --backup-dir Switches were used to store just
the files that had changed in seperate directories, am I wrong on
that?

I've read everything I could find, including the big rsnapshot
scripts, but I'm not able to do what I want, it seems so simple but
something's not right, am I wrong that subdirs should have just files
that are new or have changed. I tried various things like this, but
had no luck

rsync -az -e ssh --stats --delete --backup --backup-dir=/home.Thursday
--exclude "stuff" / user at server:/home/user/

Thanks!