differential backup using deltas.

Craig Hammond craig at sbisolutions.com.au
Fri Jan 19 22:24:43 GMT 2007

I was wondering if the following is possible, or is planned for rsync.

I backup a number of databases with rsync that work very well with the
rsync algorithm.
Ie, I am backing up a gigabyte+ database over a dial-up speed link and
it doesn't take very long, so the daily differences in the files are
obviously very small compared to it's total size.

I am storing many copies of this database as a backup at the moment,
which take up a GB every backup.
It would be a lot more efficient on disk space if I only had to store
the original, then the rsync differences. Then have some way way to
combine the two to end up with the complete modified file.

Craig..