Help with rsync configuration

Vinicius Carvalho java.vinicius at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 17:10:22 GMT 2007

Hello there! We are trying to get rsync to work in our servers but so
far we did not succeeded. Our scenario is a 3 machines where one
directory must be replicated through all the clusters, no matter where
the file was saved. I have a few basic questions regarding that:

1st Do I need a daemon on all instances or just one of them? Files
saved on any of them must be mirrored

2nd We gave a try with rsync 2.6.9 on Suse 9 machines, here's the rsync.conf:

gid = users
read only = false
use chroot = true
transfer logging = true
log format = %h %o %f %l %b
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log

[test]
        path = /root/test
        auth users = jboss
        secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
        hosts deny = *
        hosts allow = aaa.bb.c.*
        list = false

our rsyncd.secrets:
jboss:jboss

We start the daemon with no errors, but when trying to connect to it using:

rsync -avz -e ssh jboss at aaa.bb.c.dd::test .

so after running the command above and trying to enter the password
for jboss 3 times we get:
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(453) [receiver=2.6.9]

What am I missing?

Best regards