--link-dest

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jan 2 22:01:38 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 09:17:30PM +0000, tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
>  rsync -a --delete --link-dest=/home/chamberl/oldbk/ /home/chamberl/source/ /home/chamberl/backup/
>
> I make sure that /home/chamberl/source has some files exactly the same as in /home/chamberl/oldbk/
> but evertything gets copiued, and no hard links are done (though they should be).

Is /home/chamberl/backup empty?  Or does it have files already?  The
--link-dest option is designed to work into an empty hierarchy, as the
presence of a prior file causes rsync to update that file rather than
look for a match in the link-dest dir(s).

Are the files in the oldbk and source dir identical clear down to their
attributes (time, ownership, permissions, ...)?