Overwriting symlinks on OSX

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 02:26:38 GMT 2007

On 2/24/07, David Liontooth <liontooth at cogweb.net> wrote:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > This is an unpleasant decision: do we want to bloat rsync with the
> > necessary logic to make --dry-run correct in these corner cases or
> > settle for a --dry-run that sometimes misleads the user?  Wayne,
> > what's your opinion?
> To avoid bloat, consider a warning along the lines of,
>
>    "Symlinked directories will be overwritten (use --keep-dirlinks)"

My point is that rsync's reported changes with --dry-run are
inaccurate (as you saw with your first command), not that the user may
have meant to use --keep-dirlinks.  A warning like ``Reported changes
under symlink "2006-01" may be inaccurate because, due to --dry-run,
it has not actually been replaced by a new directory'' would be
appropriate if we choose not to fix --dry-run in this case.

Figuring out what options the user wants is the user's job, not
rsync's.  But rsync can help the user by providing accurate reports on
dry runs so he sees that the results are not what he wants and tries
different options.

Matt