Receive more information about transfer problems in server log?

Bas van Schaik bas at tuxes.nl
Fri Feb 23 14:52:04 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm probably using the most basic rsync-setup: just running the
rsync-daemon and use plain transfers (no encryption or other shells,
plain rsync). Transfer logging is enabled.
I've got a lot of client machines rsyncing their backups, both Linux and
Windows. For some rsyncs, the log tells me this:

> 2007/02/23 02:42:04 [29077] connect from ***.nl (*.*.*.*)
> 2007/02/23 02:42:05 [29077] rsync to 192168162 from 192168162@***.nl (*.*.*.*)
> 2007/02/23 02:42:05 [29077] receiving file list
> 2007/02/23 02:42:06 [29077] IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
> 2007/02/23 02:42:06 [29077] rsync /
> 2007/02/23 02:42:06 [29077] rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(872) [generator=2.6.9]
(all entries about PID 29077)

I can see that something went wrong during this sync. But what exactly?
Which files could not be transferred exactly, and why? According to the
error code (23), some files where partially transferred due to an error,
but there are no files in the transfer log! And which error did occur
exactly? Of course, I can browse the client logfiles every day, but that
isn't really an option: there are more than 50 clients!

Can anyone help me getting more information in my server log about
transfer problems? Thanks!

Regards,

  -- Bas van Schaik