Rsync Permission Issues

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Feb 16 20:38:27 GMT 2007

On 2/16/07, Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt.com> wrote:
> Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> >> What's the ls -la output on the directory where rsync quits??
> >
> > # ls -la /mnt/Masada1/dansguardian/lists/blacklists
> > total 6
> > drw-r--r--  2 masada  bkupagent   512 Nov 28 22:25 .
> > drwxr-xr-x  9 masada  bkupagent  2560 Feb 16 10:00 ..
>
> Try setting other rwx and see what happens.

I set the others for rwx and rsync went one more level deep before
quitting. So I then set the same permissions on the new level of
directories created and re-ran rsync. All directories were
successfully sync'd as this was the last level.

Looking around, I found another 4th level directory which had sync'd
ok. Checking the permissions on it I found drwxr-xr-x. This led me to
check the permissions on the original directory on the client. I found
that the 4th level directory which had sync'd ok had drwxr-xr-x while
the 4th level which was not sync'ing had drw-r--r--. So I chmod'd the
permissions on the client directory structure to drwxr-xr-x and
deleted the copy on the rsync server. Running rsync again resulted in
a clean run with no errors.

I still do not understand why this caused an issue for rsync. But
again, I am new to it.

> >> What's the entire
> >> rsync command you're using.
> >
> >  rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compress --recursive --times
> > --links "/etc/dansguardian" "masada at 192.168.0.75::Masada1"
>
> Are you trying to run this via cron??

Not now, but I will eventually. This is a test box for me to learn on.
I am actually working toward a network wide NAS in order to handle
file restore/backup jobs. I have a good bit of data to backup and very
limited funding. So I am thinking to use rsync on a server with large
capacity raid arrays for most of the data. Then take the truly mission
critical data off of the rsync server to tape storage. I hope that
using an rsync server will also give my users the added benefit of
snap-shot file restore capabilities. Comments and suggestions on these
ideas is welcome if this is the appropriate place.

Thanks for your time and help, Mark.

Chris
--
Chris Nighswonger