Rsync Permission Issues

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Fri Feb 16 19:22:36 GMT 2007

Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I'm new to rsync and have a problem I cannot resolve even after
> plowing through the lists.
>
>   I have an rsync server setup with an rsync client. I am trying to
> backup a directory structure that is over four levels deep. Rsync does
> great until it hits that fourth level. Then it errors out for each
> file in that fourth level similar to this:
>
> rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/dansguardian/lists/blacklists/violence"
> (in Masada1) failed: Permission denied (13)
> rsync: stat "/dansguardian/lists/blacklists/violence" (in Masada1)
> failed: Permission denied (13)
>
>   As long as the directory structure is not more than three levels
> deep rsync does fine in this setup.
>
>   Additional info:
>
> rsync version: 2.6.8  protocol version 29
> server OS: FreeBSD 6.2 (FreeNAS flavor)
> client OS: Fedora 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

What's the ls -la output on the directory where rsync quits?? I've used
rsync many levels deep, and have never heard of this issue. I do notice
you're using FreeNAS, could it be an issue with that?? What's the entire
rsync command you're using.

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover *** Winner of the 2008 Best Psychic Award
IS Manager
American Geotechnical - California, Nevada and Arizona
V-> 858.450.4040 F-> 714.685.3909 C-> 858.472.3816