symlinks and different $HOME variables

reader4 brace at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 14 18:07:10 GMT 2007

I have a laptop and desktop that have most of home directory data sync'd, but
I am having trouble keeping symlinks straight.

On the desktop, my data is separate from the $HOME folder... $HOME =
/remote/home/desktop/ and the data is at /data/.  Within /data/, I have
several directories that are inter-related... eg, /data/pub1/figs is a link
pointing to /data/imgs/pub1.  It makes life easier when I'm writing.

On the laptop, the $HOME directory (/home/laptop/) should be the same as
/data/, with the exception of several large sets of data, videos, etc.  The
problem is that when I rsync /data/ to /home/laptop/, the symlinks point to
the wrong location.  Is there any workaround for this - a way to specify the
symlinks as $HOME/... rather than the absolute directory tree?

Similarly, if I want to ease syncing even further, I can create a directory
$HOME/sync/home/ that contains symlinks to each of the actual directories I
want to sync and use the -L option to transfer the actual directories.  This
makes entering the commands easy, but runs into problems with the other
symlinks.  Any easier way to do this?

Thanks for your help!