keep group and owner on part of the files

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Feb 13 13:00:38 GMT 2007

On Tue 13 Feb 2007, Mark, Oren wrote:

> I use rsync daemon to replicate disks between sites.
>
> I am replicating the disks using rsync -avzx command. The thing is that
> I have in one site the same UNIX group but with different GID. So
> someone with the same UID can access the group on the source but not on
> the destination.

This is not quite clear, perhaps some examples are in order...

> Is there a way, beside aligning GID number, on both sites to after
> changing the group on the destination to make rsync not to keep group
> using -a and -no-g, and to create each new file in specific group ID?

rsync will generally map owener and group by name, so the numeric value
of the GID shouldn't matter. Only if you use --numeric-ids does it use
the pure number and not the name (hence my request for an example, as it
should be doing what you want already).

Paul Slootman