Rsync 3.0.0 report and a performance question.

Matt langelino at gmx.net
Thu Feb 8 01:12:55 GMT 2007

Using --whole-file doesn't help, see below.  BTW, rsync needs about the
same time even if no file has changes at all.   It must be the
comparison of the file metadata. A rate 325 files/sec seems somewhat low
to me but maybe its mostly the time to read all directories and the
"File list generation time" in the stats doesn't account for this.

... Matt

Wed Feb 7 15:21:02 PST 2007
/usr/local/bin/rsync -ax --delete --stats --numeric-ids --port=8730
--whole-file --password-file=XX --link-dest=xx.old uu at xx::yy/ /zz

Number of files: 217339
Number of files transferred: 37
Total file size: 223094104019 bytes
Total transferred file size: 6257095 bytes
Literal data: 6257095 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 5723954
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 12812
Total bytes received: 12030134

sent 12812 bytes  received 12030134 bytes  40076.36 bytes/sec
total size is 223094104019  speedup is 18524.88

Wed Feb 7 15:37:47 PST 2007