[RFE] unmappable uids

Sven Köhler skoehler at upb.de
Thu Dec 13 17:27:34 GMT 2007

Hi,

i love rsync for mapping transferring/mapping uids and gids by name. But
 i would be interested in unmappable ids. Let's say, the source knows a
user called "foo" which does not exist on the target system. Since the
foo user doesn't exist on the target system, rsync simply transfers the
numerical id.

This bahaviour can be fatal. I would really like to notified about such
problems. In my version (2.6.9) i don't see any possibility, to enable
such warnings. And they don't seem to be available by default.

Do you agree?
Is it possible to extend rsync without chaning the protocol?

Regards,
  Sven